18 May 2011

Guest blogger product review ~ ECO Styler Gel

 This review was submitted by one of Naturaleza's readers - Kim.

ECO Styler Olive Oil Styling Gel
For all hair types
If you type this into any search engine, thousands of videos and product reviews WILL pop up. It has become the tool of choice for many naturalistas who want to give their naturally coily curls some definition.  During my time as a free form natural, it did in fact help quite a bit. This review may be a bit biased towards the 4a-4b hair type and that is not deliberate but simply because that is the type of hair with which I have been blessed. So if you have 4a/4b hair this review might be of some help to you. And for the others, my philosophy is: if it works on the thick manes of us tightly coiled naturals, then you know it WILL WORK for those of you with loser curls.

Ingredients:
Water, Carbomer, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, PVP, Glycerin, Triethanolamine, Sodium Hydrxymethylglycinate, Polysorbate 20, Tetrasdodium EDTA, Olive Oil (the seller) Fragrance, Blue #1, Yellow #11, Love and Pride. Not too bad….for a gel that is.

Price:
In Barbados, the small tube in Diamond Girl retails for $4.99. I got two big tubs of it shipped here from Sally’s Beauty Supplies.

How did I hear about this product?
YOUTUBE. One of the channels I was subscribed to that dealt strictly with 4a/4b hair noted that ECO Styler could be used as an alternative to the Miss Jessie’s Curly Meringue, which in my opinion catered more to mixed hair - wavy hair with the already defined curls. So seeing the success that this fellow hair type had, I went in search of this gel. 

How did I use it?
First thing I learnt about this product is that it does NOT like other products in your hair.  It begins to clump.  Especially with mine. So the good old moisturizer basing your hair?  Forget it. Water only. It WILL solidify and it does not look good with all these opaque lumps all over your hair.  It has maximum hold and trust me it works.  I kept this style for at least 1 week and it stayed.  However the problem is for us with the tighter coils, it looks like a puff by the time you are finished.  What I probably should have done is sprayed it with water and big twisted it in between to refresh.




Now using it on locs:  Totally different experience. It is excellent when being used to freshen loosened locs.  It holds the retwist better than the other loc gels.  It is light and it dries clear when heat is applied.

Smell?
Not bad at all. It is light and refreshing and not as scented as the Jam gel.

Would I advise persons to use it?
Most definitely! It should be a staple in your natural hair journey. Even when doing my mohawks (frohawks) it was the one gel that kept my thick hair in place, without the nasty flakes icy gel or jam gives. Also, it does not have that adverse reaction my skin had to the Jam gel-acne.

2 comments:

  1. I use this product too. Excellent hold without flaking. In my experience, it can be used on wet hair with a light oil underneath but it takes a while to air dry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Erica. I'm yet to try any of the products from this line. So, I'm truly happy to read your comment. Maybe sometime soon I will try it and maybe add it to my arsenal of products. Was thinking of trying the Argan Oil one but I don't see that one in any of the usual beauty supply stores. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there! Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I enjoy having your feedback. Please check back to see how others have shared on this post.

Besos,

Tasha