27 October 2011

Product Review ~ Bronner Brothers Locking Gel vs. Firm Locking Gel

The very first thing I noticed about these products was the scent. This product line has definitely won me over with its lively, tropical aroma. The guava and pineapple definitely fill the senses when being applied to the hair.

Now side by side...
Both products give detailed instructions on how to apply.


There is nothing different about the ingredients in either of the products and both have a similar colour and texture:


Water, AMP-Acrylates/Allyl Methacrylate Copolymer, Glycerin, Aminomethyl Propanol, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Copolymer, Panthenol, DMDM Hydation, Vitamin B-12 and Fragrance. 
I used the Locking Gel only once though. Whereas I have used the Firm Locking Gel at the salon and several times at home; when either I washed my hair myself or when retouching just a couple locs that grew too fuzzy.


The terms of engagement...
Used both products on my locs and styled in the exact style - roll pin up.


In this corner...Tropical Roots Firm Locking Gel
I have used this product consistently from August and I have found that the Firm Locking Gel definitely provided a better hold. Days after there was far less fuzz and my locs kept a more polished appearance. There was also less itching even days later. 


Although the gel is pink in colour, upon application, it turned a whitish colour but it did not dry with a white film. It was actually colorless! No flaking, no residue! 

In the other corner...Tropical Roots Locking Gel

This product is identical to the Firm in that after application there is no white residue nor filmy feeling. I like it for that!


However, the Locking Gel did not provide a 'hold' like the Firm. I know, I know. I can hear some people say that that is what the Firm is for. And, maybe you are right. But if there is no difference in the ingredient content, then why was my hair so much fuzzier? I used this product for the first time on Thursday 20th October. I washed with same shampoo (Shea Moisture) and I got an almond conditioner my loctitian uses in the salon. So there was really nothing different. I even stayed under the dryer longer. And, as usual, I got my hair pinned up. 


Secondly, I would have to say I did not like the itchy scalp. It was way too much for me to handle. So from day 3, I took my pinup down and began to use the BB Shampoo Spray which helped a bit.

The final countdown...
As you would also appreciate, each person's scalp and hair texture is different so the regular Locking Gel might not give you that much itching. But, all in all I would recommend either of these products if you are willing to try a different product.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there! Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I enjoy having your feedback. Please check back to see how others have shared on this post.

Besos,

Tasha